The energy of scarcity and exhaustion have lifted considerably over here. A big part of that was me making changes to how I was practicing self-care, it was time to step up my game.
I did this by reconnecting to practices from before little bubby arrived that served me well as well as finding new avenues to practice loving and caring for myself well.
Here is what self-care looked like before my adjustments were made;
- Getting outside at least twice a week at sunset to be in the quiet of it and bear witness.
- Spending at least a few hours a week in nature.
- Hot shower.
- TV/Movies I enjoy.
- One sleep in day per week (up by 9).
- Swapping roles with my husband on the weekend.
- Clean sheets once a week that have been washed in lavender.
There is more but these are areas where I was being mindful and it was a practice.
Here are some oldies but goodies that I have brought back;
- Hot tea
- Hot bath with bath bomb
- Sleep in and take morning off. – We already had a sleep in day for both of us built into our weekly routine, we decided to go all in on sleep in day right now while little bubby is having a season of struggle that way we both get a day of true rest. Now sleep in day includes not having to be on overnight duty with little bubby the night before and sleeping in/resting in a quiet bedroom until 11 the next day. This means a full night of uninterrupted sleep and the next morning off. IT IS WONDERFUL. Sleep and rest in general make a huge difference in my personal ability to hold space for myself and those I love.
- Swapping roles with hubs – this is another one we were already doing but since my husband has been playing table tennis twice a week as part of his self-care, the swap has not benefited both of us in the same way. Now we are both getting opportunity to take turns doing bath, storytime, cook dinner for one another. Some of these things we do together but there are a few dedicated nights where one person gets the night off of something etc.
- Time in nature – another one that was already part of my routine that I have enhanced. Pre-little bubby I would take my meditation practice outside. Post little bubby I have not made room for my meditative practice and most of my time in nature includes little bubby. While I love him being with me and connecting with the Mother, getting back out there alone was a must. That evening sunset thing I do now includes being in nature alone and meditating – a half of that a few times a week goes a long way towards wholeness for me.
These are the new things I am trying;
- Asking for help. – Hello, my name is island. That was my old name tag that I have decided it is well past time to retire. I need help and I am asking for it. I am allowing myself to be supported and where as before that never felt safe, now I know I am safe because I AM SAFE. Shame and fear do not stand in the way of my Love and connection any longer.
- Seeking out connection outside. – Getting out and being seen are new for me. Joining the crochet group I discussed in a previous post and being open in general to the idea of outside belonging as a way to feel connection and care are ways I am playing with experiencing self-Love.
That’s all I got for now, I have a husband in bed next to me that wants to cuddle. Updates on my progress coming soon.